Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Conversation with the Grandma's

Last night I decided to be brave. I had been holding up in my apartment. I didn’t really want to take the effort to go outside. I knew that I needed to. Many people were encouraging me and praying for me. So I said a prayer, grabbed my dictionary, and went outside. There is a bench right outside my apartment. I just went out and sat on it. There was no one out there. Within a matter or minutes there was one, then two, then three, then four grandma’s sitting next to me. I ended up staying out there with them for an hour. They would talk to me and to each other. They don’t mind too much when I don’t understand. They are find with me just listening in on there conversations. It is actually quite interesting to listen to them. They imitate different people. As people go in and out of the building they talk about all the gossip about them. I can hardly understand a thing but they do amuse me. One lady has a Pekinese dog named Youta. She is very cute and cuddly. She said that Youta is a very kind and understanding dog. I don’t know the ladies name, she is the one I feel closest to, but I know her dog’s name. I tried to tell her that my parents had a dog that was half Pekinese. I’m not sure she understood me. The first thing she asked me when I went outside was if my mom cries because I’m gone. I said yes. Then she asked if I cry. I said yes. She seems to be very understanding and caring. All the women told me I live a very interesting life. I live in Russia by myself, I go to school, I have many American fiends, and I go to restaurants and ride in cars. I think I keep them on their toes. They never know what I will do next. They are very nice and they watch out for me. They really do help me with my Russian. Youta’s owner is the easiest to talk to. She speaks slowly and simply. One lady talks fast and thinks I understand everything. Another lady knows I don’t understand and she gives up. They don’t seem to mind me. In fact I think they enjoy me. In my cultural study this week we talked about how Russians use the phrase “how are you doing.” They usually only ask that question of an acquaintance and they only give a negative response with a friend. When I asked Youta’s owner how she was she told me she was bad. She had fallen off the bench and had a bandage on her arm. She said she hurt her arm and hip. That’s bad for her but in an odd way I guess it is good for me. The grandma’s also said that the girls like me and think I speak okay. I was able to meet about six girls in the apartment building over the weekend. I will make it my goal to step out of my comfort zone and talk to my neighbors at least once a week. Perhaps some weeks I will be bolder. You can pray for my time with them. If you want I will keep you updated on what I find to be amusing conversations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yea Sarah! That's awesome! woo-hoo!