Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Immersion Excursion, Tea Time


(here is a picture of my tea pot and cups)
Observations: Tea is always in the afternoon or evening. It is never in the morning. When someone is invited over to tea they should bring something sweet as a gift. Tea usually will be served in the living room. There will be a small table it will be served on. The hostess should not leave the guest alone and go into the kitchen to prepare. Most everything should be ready when the guest arrives. On the table you will find cups, saucers, tea spoons, and sugar. There might also be cookies or some food on the table. The hostess might bring the tea already in the cups or she might bring out the tea pot. If she brings out the pot she could ask you if you like strong or weak tea. For guests people use black tea leaves generally. Tea can last a couple of hours. People like to sit and talk.
Impressions: I was actually unable to do tea with a Russian. I asked my language helper about it. I have done tea time with Russians in the past. It is a very social and relaxing time. I enjoy it very much.
Questions: Does being invited to tea at someone’s home mean that they consider you a close friend?
Language Notes: For a good Russian Tea time you will need to know quiet a bit of language to have a conversation.

No comments: