Thursday, August 10, 2006

Immersion Excursion, Public Transportation


Observations: Public transportation seems to be at it’s busiest in the mornings. Trams seem to run fairly regularly and quickly. Trolly-buses seem to run more irregularly. Mashrootkas are a very quick way to get around. They cost a little bit more and they can be very full. Buses can be a very nice way to get to your destination. There are many buses and they come very frequently. They can be very crowded as well. On any form of public transportation you should always let the elderly and people with children have a seat first. Taxi’s are very nice and they get you around the quickest. You can even order a taxi and they will pick you up at your front door. Unlike in the US here you ride in the front of a taxi. You negotiate before you leave what the price will be.
Impressions: I like to ride the tram the best. The tram stops right outside my apartment. It is very easy for me. The ride seems much smother than a trolly-bus. I have a month pas so I will probably use the tram and trolly most frequently. The mashrootka will be nice when I am in more of a hurry. If I am waiting a long time for a trolly I might just take a bus.
Questions: What is the proper etiquette for getting off a mashrootka? Do I close the door myself or does someone inside? I wasn’t sure if the driver was upset with me or not.
Language Notes: For the tram and trolly you need very little language. You just listen when they say next stop… and then you get off when you here your stop. The mashrootka takes more language. I had to read the signs as they drove by to find one that went where I wanted to go. Then I got on. When it came close to my stop I said here please and they let me off. For the bus you need to be able to read the sign on the bus so you know where it is going. With a taxi you need to know the most language in order to explain where you want to go, unless you are going to a familiar place. I will probably ride a taxi the least.

No comments: