
Senoy Renik
(This is a picture from right outside the marketplace. None of my pictures turned out from inside, it was too crowded.)
Observations: The market has almost everything you would need. They have fresh produce, dry goods, toiletries, milk products, spices, candies, meat, fish, and even animal food. Across the street from the food there is another market that sells clothing, shoes, and accessories. In another direction, across from the food, is a market that sells hardware and tools. There are also little stores all around the market that sell things from cell phones to power tools.
Impressions: The market seems to be a fairly crowded and busy place. All types of public transportation run to the market. Some of the shop vendors seem very motivated to sell their products to you. Others ignored me. It seemed like you could get better prices on many items at the market.
Questions: What is the best time of day and the best day of the week to go to the market? Can you barter at all with the vendors or are the prices fixed?
Language Notes: I did alright with buying items. In Russian I would ask how much things were and tell them what I wanted. I think it is polite to say “please give me.” When I asked one lady how much something was I thought she said 900. What she said was 100 minus 10. That is a different way of calculating numbers than we do in English.
No comments:
Post a Comment