Thursday, August 24, 2006

Random thoughts in Russia

The Words of a Child:
One of the MK’s here is three years old and he is very cute. When he is happy and life seems as good as it gets he runs up to his parents and tells them he loves them. This happens quite frequently. I would assume that when life is not going the way he wants it to go he doesn’t run up to his parents to tell them he loves them. Like most children he probably says quite the opposite. His words made me think of my relationship with God. When life is great it is easy to praise God and thank Him for the blessings. When life stinks I’m not the child of God I should be. Next time life stinks I need to be reminded to run up to God and tell Him I love Him.
The Russian Soul:
Russians are very into the soul. Here is an interesting bit of information regarding their use of the language and soul. In Russian there are animate and inanimate nouns. In Russian the words animate and inanimate are with soul or without soul. To them people and animals have souls. However, dead bodies and unborn children do not have souls.
Community versus Individualism:
Here is another interesting linguistics study. American’s ask “what is your name?” We respond “my name is…” Literally, Russians ask “what do they call you?” They respond with “they call me….” One of the many differences in our world views.

No comments: