Orthodox Church
Observations: This Orthodox Church was being remodeled so it was difficult at first to figure out where to enter the building. As I entered there were elderly people sitting outside. I assumed they were there for money but there were not holding a sign nor did they have a container out for money. There was a lady in front of me that crossed herself many times and prayed before entering the church. Right inside the church there was another elderly lady sitting down with a sign and a container for money. I couldn’t read the sign. Inside the church there were icons everywhere. In front of many icons were places for candles. Some of the icons also had fresh flowers in front of them. The icons were encased in glass. Many people would light a candle, cross themselves and touch the ground repeatedly, kiss the icon, and pray. They would go throughout the church and do this. At the back of the church there was a lady selling icons, candles, books, and head coverings. There was also a lady going around to the icons cleaning out the candelabras and the wax off the floor. In the front of the church was the Holy of Holies. They had it blocked off. Painted on the front was the last supper as well as many saints. The building was painted with images of Christ and the Bible all over the inside. There were no lights on the inside except for the candles. I think there was also a faint smell of incense burning.
Impressions: I have been in many Orthodox Churches in the United States and Russia. They are all similar. They are very ornate and beautiful. I heard that the reason for many of the paintings is that when the buildings were first built people couldn’t read. So the paintings were a way of telling the story of the Bible. Also, the Orthodox believes that their building is holy. That walking inside of it should be like being inside of heaven. When you are in a church you need to respect the building and their beliefs.
Questions: How many Russians regularly attend the Orthodox Church? What is their view of evangelicals?
Language Notes: I was not there during a service so it was silent inside. No one spoke. On the front of the building it said Christ something. I couldn’t read it.
No comments:
Post a Comment