Sunday, September 03, 2006

The first day of Russian school

(A kindergartener and her family entering the school for the first day)

In Russia the first day of school and fall is always September 1. The first day of school is a ceremonially day for the Russian equivalent of Kindergarteners and Seniors. All the grades are together in one school. On September first the oldest and the youngest come together. I went to school 23 which is a foreign language school. All the kids, parents, relatives, and teachers were gathered together in the courtyard. All of the relatives were dressed very nice. Some fathers and brothers were in a suit and tie. Mothers were almost all in dresses. All of the students, except for the Kindergarteners, were dressed in a white shirt and black pants/skirts. The kindergarteners were dressed in a white shirt and brown pants/skirts. The Kindergarten girls had huge white bows in their hair. Everyone gathered around the courtyard with the middle left open. Then a group of children went in the middle and performed a waltz. Then different kids did recitations. After that they introduced the senior class. All of the seniors marched out carrying flowers for their teachers and their first text book. After they came out the kindergarteners came out. They also carried flowers and were given their first text book. School here starts at age 6 or 7 and finishes at age 16. Once all of the kindergarteners had paraded out there was more waltzing and recitation. Then they sang the national anthem and raised the Russian flag. They released red balloons and to end the ceremony was the ringing of the first bell. A senior boy lifted a kindergarten girl on his shoulders and she carried the bell. They went around the courtyard with her ringing the bell. It was very cute. After that the children went home and will be back in class on Monday.

Side Note: If you have made it this far on my blog I want to share something with you. I greatly appreciate everyone who reads my blog. Even if I don't know you very well or at all I'm glad to be "your eyes to Russia." Please know that I greatly enjoy comments on my blog and e-mails. I need your encouragement as well as your prayers. I hope you do enjoy my entries and I hope to be hearing from some of you.
God Bless,
Sarah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, this is Betty, your mom's hairdresser...this is so interesting. Thank you for taking the time to journal all your experiences...since I am a frustrated traveler right now, it gives me a "fix" to read your stuff. I hope you are doing well and know that you are remembered and talked about in a little hairsalon in Palmer, Alaska!