Friday, September 08, 2006

The Golden Apple Festival

(In this picture you can see one girl holding bread. Every booth had a beautiful round loaf of bread. Each was very unique and ornately made. I think maybe there was a bread making contest between the booths.)

(Here are some lovely young girls all dressed up in traditional costume)

(Here is the front of one of the booths. You can see the singers. The arched sign says Kooren on top. That is what they all say, I'm guessing that is the region. Then bellow it says Teehoretskovo Rayona, that might be the village.)
Today I had a very cultural experience. Downtown today was the unvieling of a statue of Catherine the Great. Catherine the Great is a very important part of the history here in southern Russia. I went down to see the unveiling. I didn't watch that very long. It was crowded and I couldn't see anything. In the same location was the Golden Apple Festival. People from all over the region came and set up booths. Each village or town had their own make shift village set up. The tables were set with all sorts of food. There were crafts and costumes everywhere. Nothing was for sale. Everything was to look at. Each booth had dancers, musicians and singers. I really can't explain what it was like. It was very interesting and fun. Here are a few pictures. I took over thirty so I had to pick out just a few. I hope you enjoy looking at traditional Russia. I certainly enjoyed the experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fun! I really miss all the interesting festivals in Hong Kong. It's almost time for the mid autumn festival now when they go around with lanterns and exchange moon cakes.