Today our church had a baptism on the Kuban River. It was the first church function I have gone to this whole year. It was wonderful. I think there were 13 people baptized. It started out as it would in America. We sang a couple of songs and then the pastor explained the meaning of baptism. Then the pastors got in the water followed by those getting baptized. They all dressed in white and went down into the river in threes. The three pastors where in the river and they would take turns baptizing. After the actual baptism we sat around seven small tables for a picnic lunch. Each table had at least one of the newly baptized people at it. At our table was Nikolai. It was nice to get to talk to him and here his story. Each table was also asked to do a different creative thing to present as a congratulations to the one baptized. Nikolai had it bad because our table only had two native Russian speakers besides himself. Our task was to write a poem in Russian! Thankfully we enlisted some help and then Blythe bravely read the poem in front of the crowd. Russians are so creative. It was interesting to see what everyone came up with.
I felt like after a year of going to this church I was finally able to meet some people. It was such a blessing. Hopefully it will make church feel like more of a church home to me.
2 comments:
Wow, I've been busy and haven't been on for a while so it was great to catch up on what you have been doing. I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. I know all about those shells of people and how hard it is to know and care for them and to understand why such things happen. At least in their death there is some comfort knowing that life is so much more real for them now.
And Congrats on getting through your first year! I'm so proud of you and all you're doing. I can't wait to see what God has next for your life, as well as for mine :)
What a neat way to celebrate baptism! Thanks for sharing! Congrats on being a yearling!
Post a Comment