Sunday, June 24, 2007

Death and Life

In May of 2006 I went back to my hometown. It was my first time in Bremerton, Wa in 7 years. One of the places I wanted to see was my grandparents grave. I was extreemly close to them and I thought this might be my last chance to "see them." I know a grave doesn't hold a soul. I can remember them better in that cemetary on the hill.
One thing I didn't want to do, but knew I had to, while back in Bremerton was visit my Aunt Avis. Aunt Avis lived in a nursing home. She had something called a fixed delusion. I hadn't seen her in 7 years and I wasn't expecting what I saw. She sat in a special wheelchair. Her expression was blank as she stared into nothingness. I stood back and watched her sisters approach her. She made no movement or acknowledgement of their presence. I walked towards her and kneeled down on the floor until I was directly in her blank gaze. For a fleeting moment she looked at me and then looked away. I talked to her and stroked her. Eventually she squeezed my hand. I cried harder that day in the nursing home than I did in the cemetary. Here was my aunt all alone without love.
Avis Buchanan died recently. I don't know when. I simple form letter was sent to her sibblings informing them of her death. There was no phone call. No real care. I was never terribly close to my aunt. Growing up I saw her all the time because she lived with her parents. I cared more about spending time with my grandparents than her. I'm saddened by both her death and her life. I ask myself "what was the point of it?" I'm not the one to answer that question. God gave her breath and God took it away. Her life was important to Him.
Though I know you aren't there to read this Aunt Avis I'm sorry I wasn't there for you more. I love you and miss you.

No comments: