Friday, August 03, 2007

What difference does a year make

Yesterday Donnie, Blythe, and myself (the yearlings) met with our field director and the newbies. The question was posed, what can we do now that we couldn’t do a year ago? So here is my list.
WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES A YEAR MAKE
I can now go to the market and buy whatever I want in any quantity I want. I can even ask to pick out my own fruit or vegetables so I am sure to get the best.
I can fill out a form to get a discount card at grocery stores.
I can get anywhere in the city I want to go on public transportation.
I can buy my own train, plane, and bus tickets.
I can travel in the country by myself.
I can hold a decent conversation in Russian
I can share my testimony in Russian.
I can get the main point of the sermon in church, and on a good day I even understand some of the application points.
I can understand what book, chapter, and verse of the Bible to go to when it is said in church, well usually I can.
I can order a taxi.
I can make phone calls in Russian.
I can get things repaired (watch, purse, shoes).
I am sure this list could go on and on. I will stop here for now. It is nice to see that progress has actually been made. Sometimes I get discouraged by the slow process of language learning. It is a process and I am making progress! Summer is over for me school starts Monday. What difference will this next year make?

No comments: