Well now that I think about it I have been in Russian homes before but I was waiting for this home for a long time. Two years ago I came to Russia on a short term team and we had two translators. One translator was Dima who is now one of my teachers at school and I see him every day. My other translator was Galya, we have had a much harder time getting together. I have been invited over to her house many times but we have never set an exact date and it didn't happen. Today after church I went over to her house and met her wonderful mother. Her mother, Alla, is so sweet. She continually served us. She never sat down to eat with us. She made us a chilli type soup and we had bread, vegetables and yogurt. Russians really know how to feed you. I am stuffed. Then of course after lunch we had to have tea and I had to eat more. She had made special cookies just for me and eating just one was not good enough for her. In fact I ended up bringing them, along with candy, home. I had a wonderful afternoon talking to Galya and Alla. Galya showed me many pictures and our conversation flowed easily in two languages. I don't know why but we kept flowing between Russian and English. For no apparent reason one of us would switch into a different language and then eventually we would switch back. It went on like that for 4 hours. It was good language practice.
When I was leaving Alla said "if you don't have anything to do next Sunday please come over." She said it three times just to make sure I got the point. Her grandchildren will be there next week so I would be able to meet them.
I gave her a hug as I was leaving and she said "I don't know the American way but let's do it the Russian way." She grabed my face and kissed me from cheek to cheek three times. ( I have a feeling I spelled cheek wrong but my brain isn't working.)
It was a wonderful way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment