Sunday, August 05, 2007
Flexibility
Before I left for Russia it seemed like the one word I kept hearing was flexibility. Everyone stressed the importance of needing to be flexible in a new culture. Overall I have gotten used to being flexible and adjusting to Russian culture. For example, I am going to school on Monday and I will be in a new classroom with differents students then I had last year. I still don't know which students will be in my class or who my teacher will be. I'll find out at school, no big deal. There is another culture I came across today that brought another dimension to being flexible. Many Nigerian students attend the same church I do. They live fairly close to me so I am ussually on the tram with some of them and I walk with them to church. Today was no different as I met up with a girl named Elizabeth. She is nice and somewhat quiet. We walked to church together and she muttered something about after service and your house. I have trouble understanding her accent and I had already asked her to repeat herself once. I had a suspicion that she had said she was comming to my house after church. Very much univnited. She did come to my house after church. She is nice it was just very unexpected for an orderly person like myself. I had to think fast and make something for lunch, for myself I was just planning on have peanut butter and jelly. I made pancakes and bacon instead. What can you do when you can't go buy anything? I am well stocked but not that well stocked. Then she just kept hanging around until she fell asleep on my couch a couple hours later and then finally left. She said she is going to come back to morrow afternoon. I'm not quite sure what to do or how flexible to be here. I am certainly being streched.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment