Thursday, August 23, 2007

Plov



Today was by far my best language helper experience. I am a very tactile learner and our lesson write now is on cooking. So Oksana and I made lunch together. She taught me how to make plov, a Russian main dish with rice. Then I taught her how to make coleslaw and bannana bread. It was a lot of fun and quite amusing. I would say, in Russian of course, "now we need to add two cups of flour." "Bake the bread for an hour." "Stir the sugar with the butter." It was wonderful and practical language practice. It was everything we have been learning in school. It was a bit silly but helpful.

The first picture is of Oksana making the plov and the second is of me and the coleslaw. She made me pose funny for it.


Plov Recipie (Oksana's family's recipie at least, everyone makes it different and they don't really measure)

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts

2 cups rice

1 carrot

1 onion

1 whole garlic

oil

salt

pepper


Clean and soak the rice. Cut the chicken into peices and fry with oil. When it is partially cooked add the carrot grated and chopped onion. Add salt and pepper to taste. Use plenty of oil and cook together until oil turns yellowish and veggies are cooked. Place rice on top of mixture and add three cups of water. Then put whole garlic cloves face down in mixture. Do not stir. Let mixture simmer 30 minutes or so. When water evaporates stir ingedients togher and let cook at little bit longer. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of those pastry filled things I helped your team make for the street fair in college...what were they called? Anyway, the cabbage and onion ones were my favorite (then the cherry) =)

Speaking of food...La Comida (in Redding) is no more. I was quite sad.

Well, anyway, I might just have to try this plov stuff...it looks/sounds really good =)