Today didn’t start out as the greatest day but it has turned out to be a great Sunday. I woke up feeling ill. I decided it would be best to stay home from church. For those of you who understand Russian, у меня был понос. I just did that because I like the Russian word. I will spare the English speakers the details.
By 11 I was feeling better and headed out to my friend Galya’s. I went to her house last week and was invited back. This week her sister Oksana, her nephews Andrei and Nickeeta, and her niece Nasteeya (Anastasia) were visiting. It was so nice to meet her whole family and play with her nephews. Her niece is almost 15 months old and she wasn’t too interested in me. They are such a warm and welcoming family.
When you go to a home in Russia you should always bring something with you, usually flowers or chocolates. I brought stickers with me this time and they were a big hit with Andrei and Nickeeta. Right away they got to work making cards with their stickers.
Alla made a wonderful lunch of blini, Russian style crepes. One kind was filled with cabbage and potates and the other filled with tvorog, almost like cottage cheese. It was a little awkward for me because they only have one room so we had to eat in turns. I ate in front of everyone else, I guess that they ate before I arrived because I didn’t see them eating. After I ate we had tea together and then watched Peter Pan. While we were watching it they made the comment American kids are just like Russian kids, active.
There are some differences in a Russian home. I am more like family to them then a guest. They have said so. They are very comfortable being their normal selves. They said no one else would be allowed to see what I say today. The boys were wearing only underwear, they are 7 and 5. Galya, Oksana, and Alla were dressed in comfortable house clothes, similar to pajamas or a nightgown. Nasteeya played around without a diaper. When she went to the bathroom they just cleaned it up. I really do enjoy being a part of their family. I am so thankful they have welcomed me in.
I showed them pictures of my family and Alla really likes my mom. She thinks she looks very sweet. Mom, you have a kindred spirit here in Russia. They also agreed that next time I come we need to take pictures together. I have a standing invitation to their house whenever I want to come over. So stay tuned and maybe next Sunday you will see pictures of Alla and Galya. Oksana and her children will already have returned home. You can be praying for Oksana and Nasteeya, they will be at the doctors tomorrow. Nasteeya is bow legged. They are seeing what they need to do about it.
To top it all off I was even invited to go with them on vacation. Next month Galya and Alla will spend a week at the Black Sea. I might take a bus and visit them for the weekend. I’ll just have to wait and see how things play out.
No comments:
Post a Comment