Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year

Welcome to 2007!
Ringing in the New Year in Russia was certainly a new experience. New Years is the biggest holiday in Russia. While I was not able to celebrate with Russians I did get a feel for how they celebrate. I spent the evening with my American team mates eating snacks and playing games. Then at 11:45 we prayed and then made toasts to each other. At 11:55 we turned on the TV to listen to President Putin’s speech from the Kremlin. We watched the clock strike 12 in Red Square and then rushed outside for the salutes (fireworks).
I grew up on the Puget Sound and they have very impressive fireworks for the fourth of July. You can see three different city displays from the waterfront as well as dozens of people shooting off personal fireworks. Nothing compares to New Years fireworks in Russia. I don’t know if there are any laws but it didn’t seem like it. People were crazy. They were shooting off huge fireworks all over. From every direction for hours you could see fireworks. When we went outside we almost got hit multiple times. Kids as young as 5 years old were shooting off bottle rockets without supervision. I must admit it was a bit frightening and exhilarating at the same time. 2007 came in with a bang for me.

On a serious note: Every Wednesday my class has a chapel time. In the beginning of December one of my classmates had us reflect on 2006 and look forward to 2007. Here are some of my thoughts on this past year.
2006 was a year of healing and letting go. It was a year to get over the pain in my life. I gave up a dream that I once held tightly to. I left my life, friends, and family. I walked in the faith of a 10 year old girl and remembered her dream. I experienced a new life with adjustments and transitions. I held fast to God through all the pain, healing, letting go, dreams, experiences and adjustments.
What do I want for 2007? I want to let God direct this year. I don’t want an agenda or a plan. I simply want to learn to love Him more. I want Him to become my greatest desire.
May God bless you this year as you seek to know Him more.

No comments: