Saturday, October 20, 2007

Language learning as life

Tonight I went to my first Bible study in Russian. It is a singles Bible study and fun time. They meet every other Saturday. My language helper Katya has invited me several times. This was the first time I was able to go. Even though I really wanted to I must admit I was a little bit nervous. It ended up being a wonderful experience.
The first game for the night was a good old fashioned school yard game of four square. Yes, they had to have the rules explained to them. Then we went inside and introduced ourselves, basically for my own sake. The leader made a point of telling everyone to talk slowly, hmm I wonder why. Then we each had to write out two questions and put them in a bag. We played hot potato with a banana and if you got stuck with it you had to answer a question from the bag. God very quickly answered my prayer and I was given an easy question. “How many hours a day do you sleep?” I could answer that one.
We split up into two groups for the Bible study. The group I was with was studying Gods omnipotence. I even understood the theme and that is a big word. I was forced to really think about some of the questions that were asked. I realized that for some I have a difficult time answering in English. That basically means it’s impossible for me to answer in Russian. It was a reminder to really know what I believe and be able to explain it and back it up scripturally. I was able to share, in Russian, how God has answered my prayer. That was exciting.
After the study a girl came up to me who had walked in during the middle of the study. She gave me a hug and said “hi Sarah, how are you doing?” I was caught off guard. You know when you don’t remember meeting someone, you have no idea who they are, yet they obviously know you, that’s where I was at. It turns out we met at the camp in September. She was one of the dozens of children’s workers. Isn’t God amazing! I never really got to talk to them and I wanted to so much. We are planning on getting together soon.
There is more I could say about the evening but after 4 ½ hours of speaking and listening to only Russian I’m ready to go to bed.
Here is my last exciting Russian news. I have started to do my devotions in Russian and English. I do them in Russian first and then in English. It is a huge challenge. I need to challenge myself. Please pray for understanding and that I would still be fed as I go through this transition in my time with the Lord.

No comments: