Monday, October 22, 2007

How do you use honey?

I learn something new everyday. Today a new friend came over for tea. I put out my fresh honey for which I am so proud of. Fresh honey is very important to Russians. My Russian mama is the one who gave me the honey to use with tea so I wouldn’t get sick any more. They believe honey has healing powers. Faithfully at least twice a day I have been drinking tea with honey. Today I learned I am doing it all wrong and destroying the healing powers of my honey. I have seen Russians take a spoonful, or many spoonfuls of honey and eat it with their tea. It is always a communal jar. It doesn’t bother me any more. I always put the honey in my tea. Evidently that is where I am going wrong. How was I to know that putting honey in hot water kills all the good things in the honey? I don’t know if they’re right but I guess I better start eating my honey and stop drinking it if I’m going to do it the Russian way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's something interesting about honey...it doesn't ever get moldy. Also, people used to used it as a type of antiseptic - they would put it on a wound to prevent infection...interesting, huh? I hadn't heard that putting it hot water negated the healing properties - that's how I use it too. I'll have to try the Russian way!