Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Differences

Sunday I had company over for lunch and I was reminded of some differences between Americans and Russians, in no particular order.
-It is common for Russians to ask you how much you make and how much you paid for something, such as a car.
-It is also common to ask your age.
-When they come into your house they have no problem snooping all over. A closed door means nothing to them.
-After you eat you sit at the table for ever. Eventually you serve tea and dessert and sit there for another couple hours talking.
-They don't pick up nonverbal clues that it is time to leave.
-They open up quickly and share their entire life with you, at least with me.

1 comment:

Transient Drifter said...

Hmmm...sounds like you've had some interesting/less than impressive company experiences :) How's it going with the new car and the new living situation? Must be nice to be settling in with the thought of permanence. I wonder how that feels :) Blessings on you my friend.