Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Trappers Cabin

A trappers cache. They would store all of their supplies up in the cache while they were gone to keep it away from wildlife.
An authentic trappers cabin.

Alaska has four main native groups but within those groups there are different tribes. We visited a Denina tribe village, it isn't a real one but they said it was authentic. I don't have any pictures of the village but while we were there we also visited a trappers cabin. Trappers used to have at least three cabins that they would travel between checking their traps. Trapping used to play a vital role in Alaskan survival.

2 comments:

Transient Drifter said...

I've been crazy busy and so just checked in. We'll definitely keep praying for you and the whole surgery ordeal. And by the way, love love LOVE your new haircut! What fun! My hair is ridiculously long again. I don't know that I'll ever get it long enough to donate, but it's long enough that mom and Julie reminisce over how much they like it short. (sigh) At least you're getting some fun exploring in while you're around. Enjoy what you can, and enjoy the Olympics. I'm not in a place that gets TV so I'm totally behind. Ah well.

Anonymous said...

I love your haircut Sarah!!! It looks so fresh and cute!! We miss you and love you and pray for you daily. Yanna said today while we were in the car, let's pray for aunt sarah rowley! It was so cute. So we prayed for you and I know God is near you in this time of waiting. love - Rebecca Jo