Friday, November 30, 2007

An afternoon in the life of Sarah

Yesterday was worth writing about. After school I headed down town to kill some time and do some Christmas shopping. I didn’t have a lot of time so when I got downtown I had to decide whether lunch or errands was more important. I chose errands and headed strait for the Christian book store. As I was looking around a lady from my church saw me and asked me to go into the back to have tea with her. I went into the kitchen and three ladies were there eating their lunch. They shared their lunch with me as we talked. We talked about our families and how the book store came to be. Then they asked me what type of ministry I want to do and where I will be next year. After that I received a wonderful compliment. They asked why I am still studying; I speak so well why not just start ministry. It was a wonderful compliment but not entirely correct.
After the Christian bookstore I headed towards the main bookstore in town, reading is my new hobby. All the lights were off in the store so each department had one candle lit. Most of the windows were covered up because they were doing construction so it was quite dark. They wouldn’t let you look at the books you just had to tell them what you wanted and they would try and find it. Thankfully I did get the book I wanted so now I have reading for a month or so. I am going to attempt Anna Karenina.
My final cultural experience for the day was the dentist. The dentist’s office was very nice and western. In fact except for the Russian and little blue booties we all had to wear it could have been an American dentist. Well it turns out I had a cavity and needed a filling. I was able to communicate everything I needed to and for the most part understand everything as well. The only words I didn’t understand were bite, wider, and gargle. The gargle was the most embarrassing because they handed me a cup of liquid and said something. I had to ask if I was supposed to drink it or spit it. You do what ya gotta do! At least I know the verb to spit.

No comments: