Ten years ago I was a senior at Bremerton High School. I can remember being asked to write an essay on where I want to be ten years from now. I am probably one of those rare people who is exactly where I wanted to be. I certainly didn’t know the road that would get me here. I knew the one to trust. When God called me to missions and to Russia at age ten there was no doubt in my mind that I would make it. (There is a good example of childlike faith and a very strong will.)
My mom said that my fifth grade teacher told her she could have given me an assignment at the beginning of the year to be due the last day of school. She could have never said another word about it and I would have completed it and turned it in on the last day of school. Determination and a strong will have always been characteristics of mine. I am sure God knew I would need those to get me where I am, darest I say, at such a young age!
As I reflect back on the last ten years I am amazed to see all that God has done in me and what He has brought me through. Here are just a few short snapshots of those ten years.
1997- Graduated from high school in Washington and moved to Redding, CA to begin my freshman year of college.
1998- Encountered my first real test on the road when I had no idea how to finance my sophomore year and beyond at Simpson College. Minutes after I laid it at the Lord’s feet, being willing to go thousands of dollars in debt because I knew God wanted me at Simpson, I watched God provide the finances in a miraculous way.
1999- Made it to Russia for the first time to study for three and a half months at Nizhni Novgorod University. I remember landing in Russia and thinking this is the first dream that has ever come true for me. This was the year I fell in love with Russia and left my heart there.
2000- Went to Kyrgyzstan and was priviladged to work with street children, orphans, and handicapped children. My desire to work with hurting children grew.
2001- Graduated from Simpson College. Went back to Kyrgyzstan for the summer. Made it home for less than two weeks before moving to New York to begin seminary. Left a summer class in New York City to study at the main campus in Nyack, NY days before 9/11.
2002- Graduated from Alliance Theological Seminary. For the first time I was confused as to the next step. I moved to Korea and was soon assured that God had not called me there. I left after three very long months.
2003- In God’s timing, after the development of some patience, I began my ministry in Cody, WY as Director of Children’s Ministries.
2004- Developed a true appreciation for National Church Ministries in the US.
2005- Traveled back to Russia for a second time. Again it was confirmed that Russia was where I was called to.
2006- I was appointed to Russia. Went through all the transitions and changes of moving to another country. Moved to Russia and began full time Russian language study.
2007- Here I am. In the middle of language study.
Only God knows what the next ten years will bring. This time I don’t have an essay to write and that’s good because I don’t know what I would say. I will just continue to follow the one who directed me through the past ten years.
No comments:
Post a Comment