Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Creepy and not so “G” Rated

About six months ago I was walking to the bus I take to school and I accidentally smiled at someone. I’m an American and I forgot that I shouldn’t smile at people here. Well the man came up to me and started to talk. He ended up being an English speaker from Africa who is going to school here. He kept pressing for information about me. He wanted to know where I live and what my phone number was and where I go to school. I wouldn’t give him any information. He really wanted to “hang out.” He eventually took my phone and put his number in it. Finally my bus came and I rushed on only to have him yelling at me to call him. It was not a pleasant moment. Tonight I had a moment far worse.

Tonight I was coming back from choir practice on the tram. It was already dark outside and the tram was crowded. One man kept staring at me. It was the intense kind of staring where he never took his eyes off of me. I was trying to look anywhere but at him. He kept trying to make eye contact. I couldn’t move from where I was at. My only safety net was that I was standing next to three guys from the choir. They are a good safety net to have. After at least five minutes it was his stop. He came up to me and asked me a question. Translated I think he used the command form of to take and said “take me.” That is not something you want to here from a creepy guy late at night on a tram. Needless to say I put on my nasty mean face and said no.

Please do remember to pray for my safety. Most of the time I take my safety for granted. I know that God is with me and He is protecting me. Life here can be dangerous at times, especially for women, and I covet your prayers.

2 comments:

Transient Drifter said...

Hong Kong is nowhere near as creepy, but I've had a few moments on trams that were less than pleasant to be certain! I'll try to remember that in my prayers for you.
As far as the ten year plan goes, I'm so far off the map from what I expected that it's hard to even remember what I thought life would be like. Glad to hear at least you had a clue :)

Anonymous said...

We will be lifting your safety in prayer. May God command His angels to form a hedge of protection all around you. May He give you wisdom and courage and may His hand always be upon you.

Gail