This evening Blythe and I decided to visit an Orthodox Church. I had heard that they have a large Easter celebration Saturday and all through the night until Sunday morning. As we were walking to the church there were beggers lining the street. Everyone was carrying Easter baskets. These are not your American Easter baskets. These baskets had beautiful eggs, special bread, water, wine, and I'm sure other things. They were taking the items to get blessed. Outside the church in the courtyard tables were set up where peole were laying out their items and lighting candles. The priests would come buy and spray holy water on the items and the people as a blessing. There was quite a crowd. Inside the church everyone was purchasing candles to light in front of the icons. In the front of the church it said Christ is Risen in large red letters. Throughout the chuch were huge boquets of flowers and the biggest long stem roses I have ever seen. The images of Jesus and Mary were draped on top with a white cloth. In the center of the church was a table with an icon and I believe a Bible. People were lined up to kiss the items. The church was more crowded than I have ever seen it.
We didn't stay very long because their was not a service going on at the time. I guess we picked the basket blessing time to go. It ws interesting to see. I tried to get pictures of the basket blessing but they didn't turn out. I was trying to be sneaky because there were police and gaurds all over the place but it didn't work. Instead I hope you enjoy the picture I did get.
No comments:
Post a Comment