I spent Christmas with a wonderful family in Ekaterinaburg (Ekat). Ekat is the largest city in Siberia. I was amazed at how new and modern everything in the city was. There is a debate as to whether NN or Ekat is larger. Ekat has skyscrapers and a modern downtown while NN has a Kremlin and a ton of history. It was very interesting to see the differences between these two great Russian cities. While NN is older with a rich history Ekat has a history of it's own, though not such a pleasent one.
Ekat is the location where the Romanov's (Russia's last royal family) were murdered. It was also the starting point of journing into the Gulags and exile to Siberia. While I was there I visited a monument to those who died due to political persecution from 1930-1950. The monument and surrounding grounds were covered in a few feet of snow. Farther back than I could venture was the foundation of a building from a gulag. I have never been to Germany or a concentration camp. It was an odd feeling standing on the ground where many died.
Sam before my trip to Siberia asking telling me not to go!
Ekat is the location where the Romanov's (Russia's last royal family) were murdered. It was also the starting point of journing into the Gulags and exile to Siberia. While I was there I visited a monument to those who died due to political persecution from 1930-1950. The monument and surrounding grounds were covered in a few feet of snow. Farther back than I could venture was the foundation of a building from a gulag. I have never been to Germany or a concentration camp. It was an odd feeling standing on the ground where many died.
Sam before my trip to Siberia asking telling me not to go!


No comments:
Post a Comment