Sunday, January 17, 2010

Why plan?

Everyday has a big question mark next to it in Russia. I'm a planner and I do my best work when I am highly organized but in Russia that just doesn't work. Flexibility is the key. Take today for example. All I had planned was church. Before church a friend called for a ride. I went to pick her up, waited a long time for her to finnish getting ready, and off to church we went. Upon arival to church I found out the room we used for Children's Church was closed off to us again. This meant have Children's Church in a cafeteria (you try doing that keeping 10 kids ages 3-10 quiet). Miss flexibility set up tables and chairs and decided to give it a try. Before church even started people sat down at our table. When it finally came time for Children's Church we pulled tables together and the kids scrapped chairs across the floor from far and wide. When we all finally sat down and began the security gaurd came over and yelled at us. I explained what we were doing there but that didn't satisfy him. Lena, the pastors wife, came out to explain but we were still in trouble. Finally Sasha, an elder, gave it a try. It's amazing what a man can do, we were allowed to have Children's Church in the middle of a cafeteria. I obviously had to adapt my lesson on the spot to keep the kids as quiet as possible.
Today was also the last day to bring the orphans late Christmas gifts to church. I just found out about it last night but my friend Zenya didn't. After church we rushed to the train station, I had to buy tickets, and then headed off to a mall. The malls on the weekends here are crazy. After searching for a parking space for ever we finally made it inside. Shopping with Zenya is fun and we had a good time but we had to be quick. When we were done we rushed to her house and I ate a 15 minute lunch/dinner before heading off to pick up someone else to go to youth group, which I found out about durring church. Again it was a rush and wait as Vika took her sweet time getting ready. Thankfully Russians are notoriously late. Even though we were 15 minutes late we were the first ones there.
After youth group I drove Vika home and here I am. It is almost 9 at night and there was one more suprise left for me. I opened my mail box to find 3 letters!
Today didn't go as planned, really I don't plan my days very much anymore, all the same it was a good day.

1 comment:

brenda said...

Look how far you've come Sarah! I'm going to nickname you Miss Flexibility.