Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Honey honey everywhere

Some of the kids and their crafts
Little Leon, Anya's son

The kids signing at the concert


Yesterday I went with some friends to the honey festival at our fair. Well, we didn't actually no we were going to the honey festival. All we knew is that the kids from the orphanage were selling crafts and having a concert. We went to purchase things and encourage them. They were so exctied to see us. I went with Anya, Zenya, and little Leon. We had a great time with the kids and they will be back at the fair March 5th.
So what is a honey festival? Well people from all over Russia come and bring their fresh honey to enter into the competition. You can sample, and purchase, as much honey as you want. Honey is very important in Russia and they consider it good for your health. I have been told if I eat a tablespoon of honey before I go to bed I'll sleep better. It worked last night. I bought my honey as well as jam made without sugar, it's all very tasty. They were also selling and competing for the best oil. I didn't try any of that.
*One other note I realized recently. Sarah is a very common name in the states, especially for my generation. One year in middle school there was a different Sarah in each one of my classes and there were a total of 5 of us in one class. Here Sarah is an unusual name. Whenever I tell someone my name is Sarah they ask again. I don't know why I just realized this but it's odd being in the minority with my name, but I kinda like it.

3 comments:

Donnie and Blythe said...

I can relate! My whole life, whenever someone asked my name, and I answered, their next question was always "What??????"

Transient Drifter said...

Isn't it nice to be in the minority? Sara is actually a Czech name, so that means that my name changes with all the Czech endings. Lucky me! But I haven't met any other Sara's here, so it's still sort of special, and they don't spell it right, so I feel special all the same. What is strange to me is that I'm the only Sarah in our organization for two years in a row. When I worked at Great Harvest, a place with only about 30 employees total, there were 4 of us. Crazy!

Alida Sharp said...

Sarah,
I love the fact that when I say my name people can spell it right away. Here in Russia I am finally getting to experience having a familiar name for the first time in my life! One of the little girls at our church has a grandmother with my same name. This little girl calls me 'baba lida" sometimes which is what she calls her Grandma!!