Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Eighth of March


Two weeks ago was Men’s Day here in Russia. Men’s day started out as a day to celebrate those who have served in the military. It was similar to Veterans Day in America. Eventually it turned into a day to celebrate all men. Really that isn’t very different because military service is mandatory in Russia. For Men’s Day men are given gifts by loved ones and maybe given a little special attention. It is basically a warm up for the real holiday, the holiday that is today.
Today is Women’s Day. They don’t celebrate Mother’s Day here in Russia. Instead they have a holiday I find far better. Women’s Day celebrates every female from newborns to grandmas. Every woman in Russia is special today. All week there have been flowers for sale on the street. Flowers for sale is one sign of spring, but this week the flowers seem endless. The markets and bus stops are filled with flower vendors. You can buy bouquets, a single rose, or potted plant. The gift giving doesn’t end with flowers. You can not forget the candy and cards. Today women are not supposed to clean, cook, or take care of the children. Then men are supposed to do everything. This is there day to relax, enjoy, and have fun. I went into town today and I don’t know that I have ever seen more smiling faces in Russia. Russians almost never smile in public but today must be a good day for them because they are smiling.
Yesterday at school all of the women were given little gifts. Here is a picture of my flowers. I also received candy, a notebook, and fancy napkins. During our break time we all got together to share the many treats that were brought. To top of the wonders of Women’s Day they even cancel school country wide. I get a four day weekend!
For those women who aren’t here to experience this wonderful holiday may I congratulate you the Russian way? I congratulate you with the eighth of March, Women’s Day. I wish you joy, happiness and love!

1 comment:

Transient Drifter said...

Sounds like a great tradition. I hope you feel like a beautiful, wonderful, lovely and loved woman today (and all those other days too!)