Saturday, April 18, 2009

Still Hobbling Along

This is the most tiering experience ever. I had a great time in Kiev with Kim. We walked for hours around the city enjoying the fresh spring air. Kim took me to an Orthodox monestary where we walked through old prayer caves. It was very intersting. After I left Kiev the real adventure began.
I flew from Kiev to Rome. My layover in Rome was suposed to be an hour. Unfortunatly, my flight was delayed so that I had less then 30 minutes to make my connection to Madrid. The important thing to note here is this was the last flight to Madrid. If I didn't make it I wouldn't make my appointment at the Russian embassy. I would have to wait till Monday morning to go, if I could get an appointment. It would also mean I would be late for our Field Forum. I was so nervous. I just prayed and ran. I made it to my second flight 5 minutes before the plane was suposed to take off, thankfully it was also delayed.
All these delays meant I arrived in Madrid very late. I finally got to the hotel at 1:30 am only to awake at 8 am to go to the embassy. I asked for directions to the subway at the front desk. Well, the directions were wrong and 45 minutes later I found myself at the freeway. I kept stopping and asking for directions, in my VERY limited spanish. Everyone just kept pointing me forward. I finally made it back to a normal street and got in a taxi. By this time I was worried I would miss my appointment. I supose all's well that ends well because I did make my appointment and 45 minutes later I walked out with a visa.
I hadn't eaten in nearly 24 hours, Alitalia doesn't feed you, so I knew it was time to find something. I headed downtown, on the subway, and found Burger King. After that filling meal I went to a grocery store to pick up dinner. I found fresh strawberries, the highlight of my trip if you can believe it. I then returned to the hotel, via subway, and went straight to bed. I woke up once for dinner and a shower before going back to bed until 3:30 am. It was off to the airport to head back to Kiev via Rome. So now I am in Rome in the middle of my five hour layover. I'm praying that the rest of my trip yeilds less adventure and more rest.
Oh, after all my walking I popped two blisters and created a new one yesterday. I also have a swollen ankle. Please pray it heals quickly.

No comments: