Saturday, January 03, 2009

New Years, Russian Style

Well after a few late mornings I think I have recovered from New Years Eve. I had such a fun night. There were just six people at my house but we had a great time. Everyone was in there twenties, three guys and three girls. One couple is a non-christian couple, Sasha and Lena. Actually all of the guys are Sasha, just to confuse you. Enough of that I'll start with my account now.

At 6:30pm on New Years Eve Becki came over to start cooking with me. We had gone out shopping the day before for four hours and bought more food than 30 people could consume. I was a bit concerned as to what the cooking would entail. We ended up making ten huge salads (with 2 kilo's of mayo!) for the first course, potatoes and chicken for the second course, and Lena brought a cake and we cut up fruit and set out chocolate for the third course. Part way through the preperations Sahsa #1 came to help. Somewhere around 9 Sasha #2 and Lena showed up. It was a bit awkward because we still weren't ready but they waited patiently. Finally around 10 Sasha #3 showed up and we started with games. We played a few active get to know you games.
Sasha #1 had a devotional planned and we talked about the good and bad of 2008 and what we are looking forward to in 2009. He also asked why we celbrate New Years? What is the point? Honestly I didn't hear the whole devotional because I was also cooking. They ended praying for the new year and then we set up the table so we would be ready for the clock striking 12. Russians always eat at midnight on new years. Everything was set up on time, we turned on the TV to hear Medvedev's speach and then watched the clock strike 12 in Red square. We toasted each other, with juice, and listened to the Russian national anthem. All the while fireworks were going off outside. The fireworks were not huge. I guess there is a new law and you are only allowed to shoot off fireworks in certain places. Also, with the economic crisis people just don't have the money for fireworks right now.
We dug into our salads and I must say something here about Russian men. Russian men are very chivalrous. They were constantly asking what I wanted and served me everything. I wasn't even allowed to spoon out the salad directly in front of me. After the first course we all decided we were too full to continue eating. We took a small break before diving into the second course.
After dinner Sasha #1 taped blank paper to each of our backs and we wrote special wishes to each other. Russians are big into wishing people things. Then it was time to exchange presents and play more games. I ended up with a cow candle holder. 2009 is the year of the cow evidently. I taught them a new game I named liar in Russian, growing up we called it bologna but some people call it BS or other choice names. Anyway after that we played Uno and then decided to gulyat. To Gulyat is to go for a stroll. I was not excited about going for a walk at four in the morning in a dress and nylons but I braved the cold. We walked to Ron and Wilma's and had a snow ball fight on the way there. It ended up being my favorite part of the night.
When we finally made it back to my apartment we had our third and final course and started a movie. Very quickly Sasha #3 and Lena fell asleep. After the movie Sasha #1 showed cartoons for awhile and I just kept thinking when will this be over, by then it was 9am.
Finally Sasha #2 and Lena left. The other three helped me clean up. After 10 am I gave Becki and Sasha #1 a ride home. A little before 11 am I finally crashed into bed.
It was a great way to ring in the new year. I'm glad though that I have another year before I have/get to do it again.

3 comments:

Transient Drifter said...

Hey Sarah, sounds like so much fun! I celebrated New Years in Florence this year. Well, my roomie just got home so I should go. Love ya lots and Happy New Year!

Donnie and Blythe said...

Sounds fun and tiring! I hadn't heard about a new fireworks law. That might explain why it was so calm here. I have to ask: how much salad did you have leftover?

Anonymous said...

How fun! I can't believe you stayed up until 10 in the morning! I would be exhausted! But I'm glad you have such good friends and had a great experience. Happy New Year!