Today has been a long but eventful day. We traveled two and a half hours out of town to a small village to visit an orphanage. The orphanage was clean and the children had what they needed but I was glad we went. I have visited many orphanages and it was evident that this one, in the middle of nowhere gets very little attention. The playground outside was falling apart and they toys inside where few. However, you know you are in a village in Russia when you walk in the front door and what you see are not shoes but ski's. Dozens of cross country skis were lined up at the door, the prefered mode of transportation.
Pastor Victor shared a short message with the children and then we sang a few songs. The kids there sang some songs for us, those who were brave enough. We then watched a film. After the movie we passed out the gifts and saw the children's bedrooms. I was surprised at how nice they are. There are four children to a bed. The beds each have nice newer matresses. They each have a nightstand to themselves and they share a wardrobe.
After the tour we had lunch and then headed home.
We have been permission to come back once a month to meet with the kids and plan different activities. Although it is far I think this is the place God wants us to help. The children are between the ages of 7-16 and 2/3rds of them are boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment