Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Nizhniy Novgorod

Let me introduce you to the city I will soon call home. It is called Nizhniy Novgorod, some websites spell it Nizhny Novgorod. The name means Lower New City. There is a city, north of course, called just Novgorod. So some people refer to Nizhniy Novgorod as simply Nizhniy. I will refer to it as NN.
NN is the 4th largest city in Russia with an official population of 1,311,252. Many estimate that the population is closer to 4 million. The city lies on the confluence of the Volga and Oka rivers and was initial founded in 1221 by Grand Duke Yurill. At the confluence of the rivers a strategic fortress was built which was protected by a moat and the cliffs above the rivers. This fortress became an important stronghold. It was burnt to the ground in 1408 by the Crimean Tartars. It was rebuilt from 1508 to 1511 red brick and it still stands today as a fortress and the city’s Kremlin.
NN has always been a strategic military city and was renamed Gorky and closed to foreigners during communism. In 1991 the city was reopened to foreigners and again became Nizhniy Novgorod.
NN is a beautiful historic city located 5 hours north east of Moscow. 6 weeks from today I will be on the train moving there. I can’t wait.

1 comment:

Transient Drifter said...

Wow, crazy that you're moving so soon. I bet you're soooo excited. Do you know what all you'll be doing there yet? I can't wait to hear the continuation of your life :)