Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Immersed in Russian

My current Russian teacher speaks very quickly. She doesn’t really give us time to take notes. Every day I write down what I can in a hurry. Today I was going over my notes with my language helper and she started to laugh. My notes made sense to me and I didn’t know why she was laughing. As I looked closer at my notes I saw that I had written “togay.” I had no idea what that was. Than Oksana said that I had mixed Russian and English letters. I first noticed the mixture when I was writing my Christmas card. I had forgotten how to handwrite certain letters. Evidently the confusion is getting worse. At least I can read what I write.
Here are some Russian letters that mean something else in English. You will see what I mean.
Russian/English
B V
Г G
g D
H N
P R
X “ha”
Boy, just writing those out added to the confusion. Maybe someday when I go to speak both languages will come out mixed.

No comments: