Sunday, August 30, 2009

A "Quick" Trip

Yeterday Lena, Natasha and I went to the orphanage to give them the school supplies that we had purchased. School starts on Tuesday so we knew we needed to get to the orphanage even though we didn't have a team to plan an event. This was just going to be a quick hello and good bye.
Normally it is a 2:30 hour drive to the orphanage when the men drive. With me driving it took us over 3 hours. It was my first time driving through Russian villages and "highways." I was driving 100 kilom/hour on a decent highway when all of the sudden BOOM! I hit a huge pot hole. After about three bad hits I got the hint and drove very slowly. The roads where horrible. The last 15 kilometers was a dirt road that really can't be called a road. There were holes 10 feet wide and a couple feet deep. There was no way past but through. It was certainly a faith streching experience for me. When we finally pulled into the orphanage I sent up a quick praise to the Lord.
There were a few men standing outside the orphanage and as soon as I pulled up they came over to say high and noticed my flat tire! My front tire was just starting to go flat. Then interesting thing is the last couple kilometers weren't bad. I believe it was on one of my bad hits that my tire was punctured and God sent an angel to plug the hole for us. There is no other way to explain what happened and how we were delivered safely.
The men quickly changed my tire while we went inside to deliver the school supplies. The kids were so excited to see us. They all came up and not only hugged us but held on to us. They drug us arround showing us different things and talking. They kept saying we had been gone to long and they wanted to know if we forgot them! How sad. We assured them we didn't forget them and that we would be back very soon. They are such sweet kids with hearts ready for love. Pray that they will come to know Jesus and that He will fill their tender hearts with His love!

No comments: