Sunday, June 15, 2008
A child's prayer
Happy Fathers Day to my wonderful Dad and Grandpa and all my uncles! Today in Russia it isn’t Fathers Day but it is a holiday. Today is Pentecost. As Russians say it is the fiftieth day or the day of the Trinity. In church today the sermon was on the Pentecost on the role and importance of the Holy Spirit. Pentecost is when the Holy Spirit came down upon those in Jerusalem and the people spoke in many different languages. On a funny note the preacher said,” I know there are a lot of people here whose native language isn’t Russian. Wouldn’t it be nice if the Holy Spirit gave you the gift of Russian? How many people here are not native Russian speakers?” At that point about five people, including myself, raised their hands but there were at least 30 people who were not native English speakers. The preacher made a joke out of it, “see they don’t even know what I’m asking them.” Maybe you had to be there but I thought it was funny. At the end of the sermon he gave an invitation for anyone who wanted to pray to receive Christ. A boy, not more than ten, raised his hand and went up to the stage. He prayed in front of everyone and prayed for the future of the church. I was in tears. Here is a country that doesn’t believe children can have a personal relationship with Christ and here a child, without coaxing, proves them wrong. It was the best moment in church ever! At the very end of the service they called me up and prayed over me and to send me out to Nizhniy Novgorod. I leave in one week! I am definitely excited.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Praise God! How exciting for that little boy... I also came to Christ at age 10!
Post a Comment