The summer of 2018 I began to think about going back to school to become a teacher. I knew it was going to be a long road and I wasn't sure I was ready to commit. Then that fall I found myself teaching second grade math and I realized how much I enjoy teaching and I wanted more of it. So, in the middle of purchasing my first home I started applying to graduate school. I was accepted into grad school and moved into my first home at the same time.
I began taking classes in January of 2019. That semester I took freshman biology and a few other teaching prerequisite classes. It wasn't what I expected. Balancing a full time job and full time classes wasn't easy but God pulled me through. Even when the summer came life did not slow down. I wasn't working but school seemed to pick up. I was even on the campus of the University of Alaska Southeast for a week. It is a beautiful campus and I enjoyed meeting my classmates and really getting to know them.
The fall of 2019 continued on mostly the same with school and work. This time I was adding on practicum classes. Beyond work and school I had 90 hours of specific classroom experience that I needed to fullfill. That meant taking a half day off a week to go to a middle school and teach social studies. I am so greatful for a flexible and encouraging pricipal, a great substitute teacher, and amazing host teachers. At the end of the fall I was accepted as a student teacher.
I began my student teaching in January of 2020. What a ride it has been. I have changed classrooms, been streched, worked through scheduling conflicts, and then Covid 19 came and the schools closed. I work in an amazing district that opened up online learning quickly. My host teacher has been increadible helping me with the change. I have been challenged to learn new technology and new ways of working with my students. We are making it happen.
Just today, after months of completing my application, rounds of interview, countless phone calls, e-mails, and references I received the news I have been waiting for. I received a letter of intent to hire with the Matanuska Susitna Borough School District! I don't know what school I will be teaching in or what grade I will be teaching but, Lord willing, I will be a teacher as of August 10!!!
The road has been long and quick at the same time. I am celebrating by myself in quarentine but I am celebrating none the less. Keep dreaming and then do the work to make your dreams come true!
I began taking classes in January of 2019. That semester I took freshman biology and a few other teaching prerequisite classes. It wasn't what I expected. Balancing a full time job and full time classes wasn't easy but God pulled me through. Even when the summer came life did not slow down. I wasn't working but school seemed to pick up. I was even on the campus of the University of Alaska Southeast for a week. It is a beautiful campus and I enjoyed meeting my classmates and really getting to know them.
The fall of 2019 continued on mostly the same with school and work. This time I was adding on practicum classes. Beyond work and school I had 90 hours of specific classroom experience that I needed to fullfill. That meant taking a half day off a week to go to a middle school and teach social studies. I am so greatful for a flexible and encouraging pricipal, a great substitute teacher, and amazing host teachers. At the end of the fall I was accepted as a student teacher.
I began my student teaching in January of 2020. What a ride it has been. I have changed classrooms, been streched, worked through scheduling conflicts, and then Covid 19 came and the schools closed. I work in an amazing district that opened up online learning quickly. My host teacher has been increadible helping me with the change. I have been challenged to learn new technology and new ways of working with my students. We are making it happen.
Just today, after months of completing my application, rounds of interview, countless phone calls, e-mails, and references I received the news I have been waiting for. I received a letter of intent to hire with the Matanuska Susitna Borough School District! I don't know what school I will be teaching in or what grade I will be teaching but, Lord willing, I will be a teacher as of August 10!!!
The road has been long and quick at the same time. I am celebrating by myself in quarentine but I am celebrating none the less. Keep dreaming and then do the work to make your dreams come true!
No comments:
Post a Comment