Friday, September 09, 2011

Orphanage number 7

Today I visited an orphanage here in Saint Petersburg that I will be working with. I met with the Director and Assistant Director. We talked about what there needs are and what they would like me to do. This orphanage is like none I have ever been to before. 80% of the children are what Russians consider invalids. The majority have either downs syndrome or fetal alcohol syndrome. Those are the children they would like me to work with. Honestly, no one else wants to. There is another group that will come in and work with the older "normal" children and help them prepare for life on there own. They want me to come twice a week. Once in the morning to spend time with the invalids who can not go to school and once in the evening to work with the older healthier children who do go to school. They already have a lot of ideas of what I could do. I am excited to get started. Honestly, I am also a bit overwhelmed. I feel like God has blessed me with an abundance of ministry and I don't feel qualified. I know God has given me this task and He is the one who will equip me. I must rely on Him for all that I will need.
As I talked with the director she shared many needs that they have and I want to share those with you so you can be praying with me about them.
-undergarments, socks, shoes, slippers, people to deep clean the orphanage, medication, soap, face cleansers, games, and most importantly people to love on the kids. When a child gets sick and is sent to the hospital there is no one from the orphanage who can go with them and stay there to take care of them. I have stayed in a Russian orphanage and I know you need outside help. This is something I can not do because the hospital will not accept a foreigner to take care of a Russian child. I will need to develop a Russian team around me to love on these kids.
What an opportunity!

2 comments:

Donnie and Blythe said...

Wow, what a great opportunity! Now I know where to send Levi's hand-me-downs. : ) Can't wait to hear more about this.

brenda said...

Thanks for posting Sarah. We're excited for you also and will be praying for you. I will share this at church, maybe we can put together a care package. Love, brenda