Wednesday, August 24, 2011

An Amazing Day, you have to read to the end!

When I first came to Russia I felt like an infant. I was dependent upon those who spoke Russian. Learning a new language and culture was a huge adjustment. There were steps along the way where I felt like I was growing up. Where I learned how to do an adult thing all by myself! Well today was one of those days.
Last Friday our team got together for a ministry meeting. We talked about getting business cards for our ministry center. When asked who would work on getting the cards no one spoke up. My team mates are busy people and I rarely agree to do anything so I felt it was my time. To you getting business cards might seem like a simple thing but remember just 5 years ago I was an infant in Russia! I had to find out where I could have them made and learn a new set of vocabulary like font and graphics. This morning I went out to get the business cards. Not only was my trip successful but easy! I met with a graphic designer for 10 minutes. We designed the card and they printed them up. I didn't make any major language mistakes. I felt like a real adult:)
After my step into adulthood I went across the street from the copy store to a huge store in St Pete "Stockmans." I have heard of Stockmans before. It is a finish department and grocery store but I had never been in there. Was I in for a surprise. I was able to buy peanut butter, canned pumpkin, jello, macaroni and cheese, york peppermint pieces, honey mustard, and pepperidge farm cookies. I didn't buy oreos, syrup, or rootbeer. It was like walking into America for a minute. Even Stockmans was not the best part of my day.
Today I had my friend Sasha over for dinner. We have been missing each other and haven't met in awhile. She came over and for two hours we talked about God. I shared with her my testimony and some major struggles in my life. I talked about the peace that only God can give. She shared her own heart ache. Trust me when I say her life has been hard. She said she believes in God but has no peace and forgets about God. She doesn't know how to pray but she has the desire. She told me she understands me well not just my words but my heart. Please pray for Sasha. I don't think she is ready to make a decision for Christ yet but she is searching and she is open. I challenged her to talk to God about her worries, fears, and desires. Pray that as she does that she will meet God and find the peace that passes understanding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I loved reading every word of this post! It was very brave to attempt the business card thing (I didn't want to do it!) and succeed. I'm so excited about Sasha and will be praying for her. What a great day! -Blythe

Alida Sharp said...

Good for you getting out there to do the business cards...that is quite an accomplishment!!

I will be praying for Sasha and for you as you share your heart with her.

joy & blessings,
Alida