Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Biopsy

Well today was the big day. Before I start I just want to say that the medical staff here in the MatSu Vally is wonderful. I went into the hospital today about noon and registered. I even recieved a nifty green wrist band. I then went to the lab while my mom prayed hard. I had been drinking a ton of water for two days solid to help with the blood draw. It did help. The lab tech got blood on the first poke after just a bit of digging. Then I went for the biopsy. The nurse took me back and checked my vitals. I then got in my pretty blue gown. I laid on the bed and had a nice toasty warm blanket put over me. The technitian checked my thyroid and we chated. Oh, my mom was in the room with me, that was nice. We all talked for about 30 minutes waiting for the Radiologist. He came in and explained the procedure to me and we got started. First he steroilized the area. Then he put towels all around my neck. The worst part was when he stuck the needle in to numb me. That burned. He couldn't fully numb me because then the ultrasound would not be clear and he needed to be able to see everything. He explained what he was doing as he did everything because I couldn't see what was going on. He took a long needle and put it in or near, I can't remember, the lump. The needle pulsed really fast to get the cells to come up and into the needle. He had to do that twice to get enough cells. The first time it hurt worse than the second time. Then the procedure was done.
Friday August 1st I go back to the doctor to get all of my results. The Radiologist said that there is a 60% chance they will get everything they need from this biopsy. There is a 40% chance they will have to do a more invasive biopsy.
For now I'm thankful it's all done with. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah,

I will be continuing in prayer for you. May God bring you peace and comfort, whatever His plan for you is. I am glad you are with your family through this.

Gail

Alida Sharp said...

Thanks for the update... I am continuing to pray for you!

Transient Drifter said...

Still praying and sending lots of love!