Today I decided to go to our children’s Sunday school that takes place during our church service. I was curious as to how it is run. Every Sunday the pastor calls all of the children to the front of the church. He uses this opportunity to not just pray for them but pray down blessings on them. As I stood in the doorway at the front the families that were coming in late were yelling at their children to hurry up, “you don’t want to miss the blessing.” When the pastor had finished praying all the children ran out of the sanctuary, down the hallway, and up the stairs. I didn’t see a teacher anywhere.
Once in the “classroom” all of the kids gathered around and they sang a couple of songs. Some children were engaged, others zoning, and others playing with toys and the teachers didn’t seem bothered in the least. After the songs the children split up by ages and sat at tables around the room. At first things seemed to be similar to America. Teachers brought out their books and began telling stories. As I walked around the room I realized they were telling the same story and not making it age appropriate. The 3-4 year olds were lost and eventually their teacher gave up and the oldest kids were completely board.
After the story the younger classes did a simple craft. The teachers would wander away from their table for five minutes or so in search of something. The kids were left on their own. The few parents that stayed helped stop more than one accident. For the most part the children seemed to be enjoying themselves. A couple of the teachers seemed to really be engaging the kids.
When craft time was done it was time for the good old snack of animal crackers and apple juice. After that the kids just wandered as they chose to. By the end of the service they were running around wild throwing toys in the air, chasing each other, and doing as they pleased. The teachers quietly cleaned up the mess.
Initially I had plans of maybe volunteering as a helper. I think helping would drive me crazy. I’m thankful for the experience of observing. I do want to say that I think they kids were learning. It is just a completely different way of running a classroom.
1 comment:
Sounds sort of like some of the classrooms I get stuck in! Today, the teacher made the kids take a note home to their parents so they would know how naughty they were in class. Craziness!
Post a Comment