Wednesday, May 09, 2007

День Победы

Today is the most important holiday in Russia. Today is День Победы or Victory Day. 62 years ago today WWII ended for the Russians. The Russians lost more lives in WWII than any other country. Many cities were completely taken over by the Germans. Krasnodar is one of the cities that was under German rule. The war devastated Russia. Russians are tough people and they survived. There was nearly an entire generation of men wiped out. Many women fought and were killed as well. Today they celebrate their survival and they victory.
This morning I watched parts of the Krasnodar and Moscow parades on Television. They were the most boring parades ever. There was a military band standing still and the military just kept marching past. It went on and on and on and nothing changed. Then I decided to go to a near by park. There were many people there to celebrate. There was a stage with different performances. Tonight there should be a fireworks display in the park that I can see from my apartment.
This evening I have been watching different performances going on for the holiday. There are many singers and dancers. The most interesting by far was two young men singing a pop song and playing accordions! Their accordions were matching with flames painted on them. When they were done I flipped the channel and saw another pop group with an accordion player. Russians know how to make accordions cool.

4 comments:

Transient Drifter said...

Hmmm, can't say as how I've ever seen a "cool" accordian. Very interesting...

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize Russia lost almost a whole generation of men...how sad! Thanks for keeping us updated!

Anonymous said...

20 million fatalities in russian blood. 100,000 to take berlin alone.

Jeff & Rebecca Jo said...

Hey Sarah,
Thanks for the laugh. One time my mother in law was staying at a hotel in new york city, and she had her accordian in the backseat overnight. When she woke up the next morning, the window was broken, and she found that someone had put another accordian in beside hers. Weird.

I look forward to seeing you in July. I am praying for very low temperatures for the next two years in Krasnodar!
Peace friend,
Jeff and Rebecca Jo